Eve Cauley joined the Production Design department faculty after 32 years in the film industry. Kicking off her career with the Oscar-winning film “The Untouchables,” she has worked in film and television production design, art direction and decorating. Before her film career, she designed, decorated and painted sets for many major member theatres of the League of Resident Theatres (LORT).
Success is a combination of creativity and skill building, persistence, innate talent, hard work and resourcefulness. I love visuals and enjoy creating them for a story. It’s about looking carefully at what you see (not what you think you see) and letting those visuals fuel and inspire you; then we create and actualize new visuals, in order to fuel and inspire an audience, to support how a story feels. Design is an evolving art.
- Guest lecturer on production design at UCLA, Columbia College, AFI, IFP North and Los Angeles City College
- Production designer: "Honey: Rise Up and Dance," "Factotum," "Bound," "The Patriot," "The War at Home," "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell," "My Teacher’s Wife," "Fathers and Sons," "S. F. W.," "Where Sleeping Dogs Lie," "Ed And His Dead Mother," "Juwanna Mann," "The Good Doctor" and "Waking Dreams" (a Bollywood film)
- Art director: "Drugstore Cowboy," "Sister Act" and "Eyes of An Angel"
- Decorator: "The Leisure Seeker," "Home Alone" and "Dennis The Menace"
- Art department: Lead person and buyer on “Above the Law”; researcher and art department coordinator to production designer Patricia von Brandenstein on “The Untouchables”; assistant to von Brandenstein and art coordinator for “Betrayed”; assistant to decorator Dan May on “Adventures in Babysitting”
- Production designer: "Secrets and Lies" (ABC series), "The Detour" (pilot and series), "Cane" (pilot and series), "Dirt" (pilot and series), "Heist" (TV movie) and "Hotel" (TV movie)
- Decorator: "Council of Dads" (NBC series), “Cupid and Cate” (Hallmark) and Tom Clancy’s miniseries “Netforce” (the Virginia unit)
- Scene (production) design, scenic art and/or decorating: major theaters such as The Guthrie, Studio Arena, Arkansas Arts Center Children’s Theatre, Milwaukee Repertory, Missouri Repertory, and Chicago theaters such as Victory Gardens, Northlight, Organic, Stormfield, Pegasus Players
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Chicago’s Joseph Jefferson Recommendation for Excellence in Scene Design for design of the play "Snow"
- Judge – College Emmy Awards
- Selection committee (one of five) for scripts for Chicago’s 2nd Annual Off-Off Loop Festival
- Technical Coordinator of Chicago’s first Annual Off-Off Loop Festival
- Los Angeles Art Director’s Guild IATSE local 800
- Chicago’s IATSE local 476
- Voting member of the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences