Assistant Dean of Design & Production Jason Romney has taught courses in sound design and technology to students at UNCSA since 2001. He has supervised student Production Sound Engineers and served as an advisor.
Jason's Theatre Sound Design credits range across the country, from Florida to Maryland and Illinois, Vermont, Utah, North Carolina and more. In addition to teaching, he works on productions with local theatre companies and directs UNCSA's Quality Enhancement Plan.
I want my students to be able to accept any sound job they are offered, so I try to keep their education balanced equally in all the areas of specialization within theatre sound. Above all, I encourage them to be the kind of person that others want to work with.
- Sound Design experience with Children's Theatre of Charlotte, Imagination Stage, Alliance Theatre Company, Playmakers Repertory Company, Weston Playhouse Theatre Company, Florida Studio Theatre, Triad Stage, Piedmont Opera, Utah Festival Opera, Hot Summer Nights at the Kennedy, Elon University, Twin City Stage, No Rules Theatre Company and Unicorn Theatre Company.
- Part of a three-person team that developed the sound system diagramming guidelines for the United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT). These guidelines are now used by students and professionals all over the country.
- Have designed the sound for many Theatre for Young Audience (TYA) productions, including a few world premieres, with some of the most respected TYA companies in the country, including the Children’s Theatre of Charlotte and Imagination Stage.
- Co-authored a book titled “Digital Sound & Music: Concepts, Applications, and Science.” Available in print from Franklin, Beedle, and Associates and electronically at digitalsoundandmusic.com.
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Awarded a $500,000+ research grant from the National Science Foundation in partnership with a computer scientist at Wake Forest University to develop interdisciplinary curriculum that bridges the world of computer science, digital sound and music.
- Nominated for 2014 Outstanding Sound Design for Musical Theatre – “The Secret Garden” and “Pinkalicious,” Children’s Theatre of Charlotte
Nominated for 2011 Outstanding Sound Design for Musical Theatre – “How I Became a Pirate,” Children’s Theatre of Charlotte
- Vice-Commissioner for Sound Awards at the United States Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT)
- Theatre for Young Audiences USA
- Theatrical Sound Designers and Composers Association (TSDCA)