Associate Professor of Scene Design Yoon Bae is a scenic and costume designer. Her designs have been shown in Tokyo, Seoul, Norway and across the United Kingdom. In addition, she has designed for live performances in California, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, Kentucky, Utah, Texas and Arizona in the United States.
I seek to release my students' creativity, connect their inner thought to techniques and tools to express and articulate, then interrogate their ideas and expression. Great designers are also great collaborators, so we work collectively and individually to seek, develop, present and advance our ideas in the lab and the rehearsal space.
- Former Assistant Professor of Scenic Design, University of Kentucky
- Former visiting professional at universities across the world including University of Arizona, Oklahoma City University, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Rose Bruford College and Central Saint Martins
- Designed for theaters across the United States including Barrington Stage, San Diego Rep Theatre, Pioneer Theater Company, Actors Theatre of Louisville, Phoenix Theatre, San Jose Rep Theatre, Arizona Theatre Company
- Designed for multiple world premiere shows including "Archipelago" at Lighthouse, "Running the Silk Road" at the Barbican Theatre, "Three Thousand Troubled Threads" at the Edinburgh International Festival and "Music in My Heart" at PMC Jayu Theatre
- Associate designed several shows that premiered in London's West End with John Napier including "Birdsong" at Harold Pinter Theatre, "Disconnect" at Royal Court Theatre and "Gone with the Wind" at Gillian Lynne Theatre
- Chapter contributor to Scenography by the Crowood Press
Honors, Awards & Recognitions
- Winner, Best Set Design San Francisco Bay Area Theatre Critics Award for "Disconnect" at the San Jose Rep Theatre
- Winner, Arizona Republic Awards for Best Set and Costume Design for "The Importance of Being Earnest"
- Member of the winning team selected to represent the United States at the Prague Quadrennial, 2023
- Member, United Scenic Artists, Local USA 829 IATSE – active member of the Local USA 829 Diversity committee and a board member representative for the Central Region USA Local 829
- Member, United States Institute for Theatre Technology
- Member, Wingspace – Scenic Design category for Wingspace mentor mentorship program
- Member, British Equity
- Member, The Society of British Theatre Designers
- Member, Consortium of Asian American Theatres and Artists
M.F.A. Theatre DesignSlade School of Fine Art, University College of London
Postgraduate Cert. Theatre DesignRoyal Central School of Speech and Drama