Karen Beres is Vice Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs for UNCSA. She also teaches undergraduate group piano classes and a piano pedagogy class in the School of Music, where she has the opportunity to interact with every undergraduate music student who studies at UNCSA.
On a daily basis, students in Karen's classes work on applications of time management, goal setting, musical analysis, critical response, historical context and many other details that go into creating a well-rounded musician.
I see all levels and abilities, but one thing remains the same – our students tend to be motivated, intelligent, genuinely nice young adults whose education I love to have a hand in shaping!Karen Beres
- Nationally Certified Teacher of Music (NCTM), Music Teachers National Association
- CanAm Piano Duo (Karen Beres and Christopher Hahn)
- Accompanist, Bel Canto Company, a professional choir based in Greensboro, N.C.
- Former faculty positions at Bowling Green State University and the University of Oklahoma: taught group piano, piano pedagogy, led a demonstration group piano class for children, taught a private piano studio of students from ages 4-70+ and served as Coordinator of the Creative Arts Program community music school
- Played concerts in the Haydnsaal in the Esterhazy Palace, Eisenstadt, Austria, where Haydn served as court musician for much of his career, in the summers of 2011 and 2012 as a faculty member of the Classical Music Festival Piano Seminar.
- Worked with noted composer David Maslanka on This is the World We Know—a work that her piano duo and husband commissioned, premiered and performed numerous times.
- Invited to the Idaho State Music Teachers Conference in 2014 as a member of the CanAm Piano Duo.
- Championing the efforts of colleagues and students in the School of Music and working with leaders across UNCSA's campus.
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant Award, University of Oklahoma, 2001
- Pi Kappa Lambda, 2002
- UNCSA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008
- International Chamber Music Ensemble Competition, Silver Medal, 2008
- IBLA Grand Prize Competition, Ragusa, Italy, Distinguished Ranking, 2009
- Music Teachers National Association
- North Carolina Music Teachers Association – Piano Section Chair
- College Music Society
DMA Piano Performance and PedagogyUniversity of Oklahoma
MM Piano PerformanceBowling Green State University
BS Music Education/PianoLebanon Valley College